Monday, March 21, 2005

Soundproofing

I put three SPM tiles from Sailor's Solutions on the board that makes up the back of the companionway ladder which is also the front of the engine compartment. The racket from the 3GM is way down, especially the mid-range rattle.

I bought the 6-panel kit and used three on the ladder and one on the overhead. They were really easy to cut and install. I cut them with a sharp rigging knife and cleaned the surface with a diluted mixture of dish soap. So far so good.

I have two panels left that I'll use on the port side of the engine compartment, between the engine compartment and quarter berth.

There are still a lot of things on the boat that rattle under power. Everything on the stove and in the oven, the propane bottles in the cockpit, etc. The previous owner "solved" this problem by stuffing open cell foam everywhere. Of course, when I got the boat, there were soggy sponges all over the place. I filled up a big garbage bag with wet foam the first night on the boat. What a mess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home