Wednesday, November 15, 2006

AIS and Internet Connectivity

My new nav computer (see below) give me USB. This lets me get AIS and internet connectivity pretty easy.

The MilltechMarine AIS receiver was very easy to install and has been a lot of fun. It works seamlessly with the latest version of SeaClear. From my slip in Tacoma I can see ships coming around Pt. Robinson about 4 nm away. That's over some pretty high terrain so I'm expecting much better range once I actually take the boat out (it's been a very wet fall).

For internet connectivity I'm using my Treo 650 running PDANet software. This is also amazingly easy. Install a bit of software on both the Treo and the host, connect via the USB sync cable, run the software on the Treo, and start browsing. It's literaly that easy.

So now, not counting the Treo, I have just under $600 invested in a nav computer that gives me GPS, free, easy-to-update, US charts, AIS, tide info, weather radar (via the net), buoy data (via the net), email, webcam, word processing, the ability to store manuals (in PDF), the list goes on. A big Garmin would be a little less fiddly to get going but this is way cheaper.

1 Comments:

Blogger BC said...

Hi John. The comment you made about having only ~ 600 invested in your nav. equipt caught my eye. Could you give a list of what you have and the functions that each supplies.
I'm outfitting a 31 ft Southern Cross and have been going a bit crazy looking at nav stuff.
Thanks Bob

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home